Streetsville

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Streetsville

St. Andrews Presbyterian - exterior

St. Andrews Presbyterian - exterior

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian - side view

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian - side view

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian - cemetery

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian - cemetery

Website: 

http://standrews-streetsville.org

VenueListID: 

852

Overview: 

Address: Concession V, Lot 4

Current Address: 295 Queen St. S, Mississauga

"St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Streetsville is an historic congregation founded in 1822 and has continuously serviced the village of Streetsville and its surrounding area for over 180 years. The building housing our main auditorium was built in 1867 and has been designated an historic building. Our modern gymnasium and activity center was built in 2001 to provide facilities and resources for effective ministry in the new millennium."

"Who We Are." St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Streetsville. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Streetsville, 2013. standrews-streetsville.org/about/who-we-are/

DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is located at 295 Queen Street South, on the east side of Queen Street South, south of Old Pine Street, in Streetsville, in the City of Mississauga. The one-storey brick church was constructed in 1867. 

The property was designated, by the City of Mississauga in 1987, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 715-87.

HERITAGE VALUE

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church has one of the oldest congregations in the area, founded in 1821. The present building opened for worship in 1868 and was the fourth structure in Streetsville for the Presbyterian congregation. Interior elements are also designated for their heritage value. These include the original pews that are located beside the centre aisle, which were rented to families until the 1880s. Additionally, there are windows in the church which honour pioneer families. The property also includes the cemetery, which contains many early headstones, including that of Timothy Street, who founded Streetsville.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is typical of churches built in nineteenth century Ontario. Characteristics include the central entrance tower, piercing the front gable end roof. Detailing was restricted to the brick buttresses, corbelling, and the tall spire, as well as the pointed distinctive window-heads. The window trims are heavy and quite plain.

Source: City of Mississauga, By-law 715-87.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church include the:

- one-storey red brick exterior

- steeply pitched gable roof

- extended chancel 

- cemetery

- pointed gothic windows

- 80-pane windows

- brick frieze

- brick buttresses

- square central tower

- octagonal wooden spire

- main entrance 

- radiating brick voussoirs

"St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church" Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=14593&pid=0

Type: 

Church

From: 

1867

Location: 

Streetsville Presbyterian Church, Streetsville, Peel (peelstre00_001)

Venue Views: 

St. Andrew's Presbyterian - Exterior

Image Date

2008

Textual Description

Tam, Beatrice. "St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. - Image: 1/3" Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. 2008. www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=14593#i1

St. Andrew's Presbyterian - Cemetery

Image Date

2008

Textual Description

Tam, Beatrice. "St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. - Image: 2/3" Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. 2008. www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=14593#i1

St. Andrew's Presbyterian - Side View

Textual Description

Tam, Beatrice. "St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. - Image: 3/3" Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. 2008. www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=14593#i1

Commentary

"Featured are the pointed Gothic 80-paned windows."

Tam, Beatrice. "St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. - Image: 3/3" Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. 2008. www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=14593#i1