Residence of Mrs. Barnett Moore
Address: Concession III, Lot 6
"Moore, B.G." The Canadian County Atlas Digital Project. McGill University Libraries, 2001. digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/showmap.php?Township=Trafalgar+South&plotX=3290&plotY=2645&getMap.x=100&getMap.y=23
Oakville Town Hall
Address: 54 Navy St.
The land for Market Square had been set aside in 1835 by William Chisholm for public use. The Lock-up/Town Hall was built on the north side of the square in 1859. The main floor served as a jail and as a quarantine for immigrants. Council Chambers were on the upper floor. A similar structure, the Market Building was also built on this site in 1862. The lower floor consisted of stalls for butchers and farmers to sell meat & produce. The upper floor was devoted to an auditorium complete with a piano, and was used for entertaining up to 500 people. In 1876, after the Lock-up burned down, the Market Building became known as Town Hall and the lower floor was remodelled for Council Chambers and jail cells. In December 1913 Town Hall also burnt to the ground. The Lock-up and Town Hall were in the charge of George J. Sumner (1834-1911), a respected and influential figure holding many official posts. His personal diaries vividly describe the daily life of his time.
"Old Oakville Information Station" Oakville.ca. Town of Oakville, 2016. www.oakville.ca/culturerec/is-oldoakville.html