Milton

Milton Court House

VenueListID: 

749

Overview: 

Current Address: 150 Mary Street

"Historic Town Hall

The Town Hall, originally built as the County Court House, was completed in 1855. The addition of the Town jail and jail yard took place in 1877. In 1982, the Town purchased the building from Halton Region for just $1 and after restoration in 1985, it became the new Town Hall. (pp.1)

"Milton Town Hall Heritage: History Meets Modern Day." Town of Milton. www.milton.ca/en/townhall/resources/poster_heritage_meeting_rooms.pdf

Type: 

Multi-use

From: 

1855

Current Status: 

Current Milton Town Hall

Location: 

Court House, Milton, Halton (haltmilt00_001)


Venue Image

“New Town Hall, Milton, Ontario” Milton Images. Milton Historical Society. images.milton.halinet.on.ca/3687/data


Date

1998

Photographer: Bruce Carlin


Farlton Baptist Church

VenueListID: 

752

Overview: 

Address: Concession 8, Lot 3

Type: 

Church


Location: 

Farlton Baptist Chapel, Milton, Halton (haltmilt00_002)


New Connexion Methodist Church

New Connexion Methodist Hall Side.jpg
New Connexion Methodist Hall.jpg

Overview: 

Address: Concession 1, Lot 5, Nelson Township

History:  Bethel chapel was one of the original Wesleyan New Connexion Methodist Churches.  It was erected in 1853, but regular weekly services were discontinued just 20 years later when the union of all the then-existing Methodist bodies favoured the churches on the Lowville and Carlisle circuits.  The simple, white frame structure stands on a farm owned by Harvey Prudham whose great-grandfather, John, settled here in 1844 and who provided the land in 1853 for the church and cemetery.  The 150 year old deed remains a treasured possession of the Prudham family.  It would seem that John Prudham obtained his land from Murray Killman, as the Land Registry Office shows him as Crown Patentee registering all 200 acres of Lot 1, Concession 5, on 14 February 1809.

The timbers for the church were provided by William Bousfield who also split the shingles at his mill in Tally Ho.  Inside the chapel are to be seen the original old wood stove, the original pulpit with its hinged doors on both sides, and the original seats which at one time had been taken to the Kilbride Community Hall, itself an old church, but now have been returned to their rightful place.

This cemetery has always been known as the Canadian Wesleyan New Connexion Methodist Cemetery.  It is a church cemetery of the Methodist faith.  The earliest interment recorded on a monument is that of Jonithan Dawson, 1764- Aug.14,1845, who emigrated to Canada in 1816 from Newcastle-on-Tyne.  The cemetery has approximately 73 visible graves and is still in use today.  A further ½ acre of land has been donated which will enable 365 plots to become available.

"Bethel Chapel & Methodist Church Cemetery." Ontario Genealogical Society, Halton-Peel Region. Ontario Genealogical Society, www.haltonpeel.ogs.on.ca/h/ne15.htm


Type: 

Church

From: 

1853

Location: 

New Connexion Methodist Hall (1864), Milton, Halton (haltmilt00_003)

Venue Views: 

New Connexion Methodist - Front View

New Connexion Methodist - Side View


Milton Temperance Hall

Overview: 

Address: 104 Mill St.

"For many years the house at 104 Mill Street, Milton served as the Temperance Hall. In 1889 the Royal Templars of Temperance installed a drinking fountain in front of the old Town Hall on Main Street. Today the fountain stands outside the Hugh Foster Hall."

"The Royal Templars of Temperance". Milton Images, part of Halton Images. Milton Historical Society. images.milton.halinet.on.ca/80174/data

Type: 

Lecture Hall


Milton Town Hall

Milton Town Hall 2.png

Overview: 

AKA: Milton Court House

Current Address: 251 Main St. E

Historic Town Hall

The Town Hall, originally built as the County Court House, was completed in 1855. The addition of the Town jail and jail yard took place in 1877. In 1982, the Town purchased the building from Halton Region for just $1 and after resotration in 1985, it became the new Town Hall. (pp.1)

"Milton Town Hall Heritage: History Meets Modern Day." Town of Milton. www.milton.ca/en/townhall/resources/poster_heritage_meeting_rooms.pdf

In December 1864 Milton Council accepted the offer of Joseph Martin to provide the site for a new Market House for the town.

The building was to be of stone, about 40 feet by 60 feet and the cost was estimated at $4,000. The lowest tender came in at $6,640 but Councillor Joseph Martin (1818-1900) maintained he could build it for just $5,000. The contract was awarded to him in June 1865, he resigned his council seat and work began.

Joseph Martin was the second son of Jasper and Sarah Martin who came to Canada in 1818. Joseph was an infant at that time.

The construction and the payment for the work continued to be contentious for the life of three councils. For nearly a year Council was unable to obtain a quorum of members to enable it to conduct other than the most essential business.

It is no use talking about the Market House. It is built and must be paid for and the only sensible course is to accept as a fixed fact and make the best of it,” wrote the editor of The Canadian Champion in August 1866.

The building committee was authorized then to complete the tower on the town hall but this was months in coming, following yet another controversy, as council refused to accept the building from the contractor who sought payment of his $5,000 plus interest on $1,000.

It was late in July 1867 that the committee recommended acceptance of the town hall, paying $5,000, less $250 for rent of the town hall and completion of the basement floor.

The first meeting in the new building was on Monday September 16, 1867. Council had previously met in a building across the street from 1858.

The tower on the building was not completed until June 1868 when the dome was erected by another contractor. Even that was controversial with council maintaining the construction had not been done in a workmanlike manner and suits and arbitration followed.

The memoirs of Charles Jones, written in 1936, indicate that Peter Bam Zimmerman was the builder and it is his likeness that is carved in the key stone over the door. David Downie worked as a mason on the building and Thomas McDowell did the plastering.

Offices in the building were rented and in 1868 John Dewar Jr., Crown Attorney; Mateson and Dixon, Barristers at Law; and the library Reading Room were all located on the main floor.

In April 1894 Council approved the brick addition at the rear of the stone section. The Town vacated this building in 1985 to occupy the former county court houses.

Town Bell

In 1877 the Council approved the purchase of a 400 pound bell at the cheapest cost and attempted to obtain subscriptions to pay for it.

The town bell played an important role in the life of the community. It was rung on Sunday for Divine Worship at 10:30 a.m., at 2:30 p.m. and at 6:00 p.m. It also served for many years as the town’s fire alarm to summon firefighters and in years of water shortages it was used to alert ratepayers that the water service would be discontinued, either to repair a pipe or because of insufficient supply in the reservoir.

The town bell also shared the use of the town hall tower with a hose drying box in which fire hose was hung to drain and dry. The hose drained into a water tank in the main entrance way to the building.

In 1894 Council purchased an 800 lb. bell from the Blimer Bell Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio since the old bell had been cracked for some time.

The Auditorium

The auditorium on the second floor of the town hall was the community centre until changes in 1966 resulted in the council chambers being moved there and the interior of the building being completely renovated.

The auditorium was in place in 1867 when government representatives were to be elected as a result of Confederation. The raucous nomination meeting to name candidates bordered on a riot.

Besides the political meetings, of course, was the whole range of community activity from the opening benefit concert held to raise funds for a piano, through gala balls, soirees, tea meetings, stage presentations, public speaking competitions, Christmas concerts and card parties. The charter night dinner and meeting for the Rotary Club of Milton was held there in 1947.

Building Changes

A weigh scale for farm produce was maintained beside the town hall for many years, with the clerk operating it. In November 1913 a furnace was installed after the steam supply from the adjacent power house was discontinued.

The steps and front entrance to the building were altered in the 1940’s with the outside steps being moved inside and glass doors installed. In February 1949 the new kitchen was completed on the second floor back of the stage. Early home economics classes received their training there from the local schools.

In 1952 major changes were made in the interior with the library being moved to the basement and a council chamber and police office taking its place on the main level. It was at this time too that the dome was removed from the tower and the bell lowered.

In 1955 the panelling was completed in the main hall.

In 1966 a major renovation was undertaken–just 100 years after the original building had been completed-which saw the upstairs auditorium converted to a council chamber and other space altered, including the removal of the stage and kitchen.

Dills, Jim. "Town Hall." Milton Historical Society. Milton Historical Society. www.miltonhistoricalsociety.ca/historic-buildings/town-hall/

Type: 

Multi-use

From: 

1864

Location: 

Town Hall, Milton, Halton (haltmilt00_005)

Venue Views: 

Milton Town Hall


Milton Wesleyan Church

St. Paul's.jpg

Website: 

stpaulsmilton.com

VenueListID: 

758

Overview: 

Address: 123 Main Street E

A Brief History of St. Paul’s United Church, Milton, Ontario

The original church was altered to accommodate a larger congregation when the local New Connection Methodists joined the Wesleyans in 1874. The present sanctuary, built in 1891, was an addition to the original church. The architect remains unknown although one unsubstantiated story says it was the minister of the day, the Rev. Dr. George Clarke. The original windows were of light, delicately-tinted cathedral glass and the initial lighting was provided by 150 glass lights. Church membership at the time was 325 and the original estimated cost of the new sanctuary along with some changes to the adjoining structure was nearly $18,000.

St. Paul’s traces its roots in Wesleyan Methodism to the time of the saddlebag preachers. It was in 1851 that the decision was made to build the first church on the current church site in Milton, a Wesleyan Methodist Church. A large date stone placed in that first church sets 1852 as the year of construction. That date stone can be seen on the south side of the present church under a window taken from the original church at the time of its demolition.

The need for additional Sunday School facilities became apparent when the town’s population doubled and enrolment increased in the 1950s. In 1962 the original Sunday School building was demolished and a neighbouring house was moved to make room for the Christian Education building which now adjoins the Church sanctuary. The lower hall was named Graham hall in recognition of the contribution of the Rev. J.L. Graham and Mrs. Graham who ministered to the congregation during the time of the construction.

Over the years, of course, modifications were necessary to keep abreast of changing times. Gas lights gave way to electricity in 1927. The present fixtures were installed in 1993. To make the sanctuary accessible for wheel chairs, access from the James Street parking lot was added in 1988 and a new lobby including a lift was constructed in 1998.

In the mid-1980s a platform was built to extend the original preaching platform. A lectern was added on the south side for the reading of scripture. The platform was amalgamated into the original preaching structure and extended in 1995.

In the same year a new sound system was installed. The new system has provision for hearing enhancement devices for the hearing impaired.

The summer of 1996 brought about the refurbishment of the sanctuary. Under the direction of Trevor Garwood-Jones of Hamilton, walls and ceiling were repaired and painted, floors were refinished and carpeted, and acoustic tile was added under the balcony. This work preserves the excellent acoustics of the building. It is one of the best buildings for sound, especially music, in southern Ontario.

Presently serving a membership of over 1,000, the congregation of St. Paul’s United Church thanks God for the rich heritage that is ours, and prays that our buildings will continue to be a meaningful symbol of God’s kingdom reaching out to this community.

"Heritage." St. Paul's United Church. St. Paul's United Church. stpaulsmilton.com/about-us/history/heritage/

Type: 

Church

Current Status: 

St. Paul's United Church

Location: 

Wesleyan Church, Milton, Halton (haltmilt00_006)

Venue Views: 

St. Paul's United Church & Annex

"St. Paul's United Church & The Annex". Milton Area Christian Churches Working Together. 2017. www.miltonchristianchurches.ca/ChurchListings/StPaulsUnited.aspx